Monday, April 16, 2007

QOTD

Thank you Ken Tremendous.
Aura. Mystique. That indefinible je ne sais quoi de sinistre that the magical underachieving Yankees of 1996-2000 had in spades. Think about the improbable run of that team. They were made up entirely of career minor leaguers, rag-tag humps, 42 year-old semi-retired recovering-alcoholic player-coaches, a pretty-boy third baseman (Corbin Bernsen), a young, raw base-stealing phenom with a batting glove obsession, a placekicking horse, Kathy Ireland, that weird quiet kid Jimmy who swore he would never play basketball again, and a simple Iowa farmer who ploughed his field because Ray Liotta/his own dead dad/he himself talked to him in a funny way, and they were all coached by Emilio Estevez. And somehow, someway, they overcame extraordinary odds, came together, and using nothing more than guile, team chemistry, mystique, aura, and togetherness, won four World Series in four of the biggest upsets in the history of professional sports!

Labels: , , ,

posted by Mr. Faded Glory @ 2:37 PM   4 comments







4 Comments:

At 4/16/2007 4:12 PM, Blogger lupe! said...

probably pretty sure i'd let him knock me up

 
At 4/16/2007 7:00 PM, Blogger June said...

my fav part was "anyone who has ever received a paycheck from the organization is a true yankee"

I also loved the enormous font for A-Rod having been 2005 mvp. I'll say it again - die hard red sox fans defending him to this extent and for this long is alone proof of how bad the coverage is.

 
At 4/16/2007 7:14 PM, Blogger Mr. Faded Glory said...

my favorite part was remembering which movie each was from

did disney remake the field goal-kicking mule movie or is that just a really obscure reference that nobody under 25 will get?

 
At 4/17/2007 7:06 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I love that in the original column, the writer brings up Brosius and Ledee and thinks the pitching was so superior (which...was it?), but not that the rest of the AL East SUCKED that year. I remember rolling my eyes at them more than being like "Aww, whata guy" over them. I'll always defend my team, but they got REALLY lucky in 2000 to make the playoffs at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


 L   I   N   K   S



P   R   E   V   I   O   U   S
P   O   S   T   S


C   O   N   T   A   C   T  




Subscribe to High and Tight via your favorite RSS reader:
Add to Google

Powered by Blogger