Monday, September 28, 2009

Looking Back at 2009 Predictions

PeteAbe took a look back at his predictions today, so I thought I'd do the same. I'll admit, this is probably my worst year for predictions, which you can read here.

Let's break it down:
NL East:
Phillies
Mets
Braves
Marlins
Nationals
I'll call this one correct. I thought the Mets would have been a lot better than they are, and undervalued the Marlins, but other than the Mets I had the order correct.
NL Central:
Cubs
Cardinals
Brewers
Astros
Reds
Pirates
Whiff. Who could have predicted the Cubs would fall apart so badly? Not I, it would seem. The "going out on a limb" prediction of last-place Pittsburgh paid off though!
NL West:
Dodgers
Giants
Diamonsbacks
Rockies
Padres
Win, except the Rockies were obviously a lot better than I thought they'd be. The Marquis turnaround had a lot to do with that, as well as contributions from guys from the farm like Fowler. The Dodgers were the class of this division however and there was no denying that.
Wildcard:
Mets
The Metropolitans killed me in two categories. Obviously a big miss.
MVP: David Wright
Cy Young: Johan Santana
ROY: Cameron Maybin
Hoo boy. Ok yeah, I didn't pick Pujols because he was the obvious choice. Big mistake. Santana isn't even in the discussion (see how badly the Mets screwed me here?) Maybin's not on the radar wither, as Coghlan and Happ and Hanson and Wells have proven. Epic fail, this one.

AL East:
Yankees
Rays
Red Sox
Blue Jays
Orioles
I expected more from Tampa and less from Boston. I saw Ortiz in heavy decline, and a team of overachievers in 2008 that didn't change much in 2009 in Boston. Well, they proved me wrong. I can't call this a complete failure as I did get the division winner right, but will take the hit later on in the wildcard outcome.
AL Central:
Indians
White Sox
Tigers
Twins
Royals
Has there ever been a more disappointing team than the 2009 Indians? Weak division, quality ballclub, MVP type player (Sizemore) and Cy Young type pitcher (Lee)... wow. Totally off here. Tigers, Twins.. congratulations for making me look foolish.
AL West:
Angels
A's
Rangers
Mariners
The West were by far the easiest divisions to pick. I underestimated the Rangers (who didn't?) and their pitching, but all in all this isn't that far off.

Wildcard:
White Sox
Buzz. Wrong color.

MVP: Grady Sizemore
Cy Young: Mariano Rivera
ROY: Travis Snider
Oh you Indians continue to confound me. Rivera has had a fantastic year, but let's face it - voters choose starters. I can't call that one a failure though, because of how good Rivera has been. Snider's not even in consideration for the ROY.

All in all, not the best year I've ever had, but maybe a Yankees-Dodgers World Series can help me save some face. At least they have the best records in their respective leagues.

Labels: ,

posted by Mr. Faded Glory @ 12:13 PM   1 comments







1 Comments:

At 9/28/2009 4:32 PM, Blogger Rex Banner said...

I don't know, these seems pretty good for you. I think you overestimate your past forecasts. I especially like the offseason prediction where you advocate signing BJ Ryan, Kyle Farnsworth & Dice-K.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


 L   I   N   K   S



P   R   E   V   I   O   U   S
P   O   S   T   S


C   O   N   T   A   C   T  




Subscribe to High and Tight via your favorite RSS reader:
Add to Google

Powered by Blogger