Saturday, August 19, 2006

Good Out Of Town Broadcasters

It's not very often that I enjoy another team's (or hell, my own team's) local broadcasters. It seems we have way too many Hawk Homer Harrelsons out there and not enough Vin Scullys, too many guys over-invested and rooting for the home team and not simply relating the game as it unfolds. Too many broadcasters try to generate drama rather than simply relate it.

It's even more unecusable on radio when homerism takes over, because you have to rely on the announcer solely for all of your information.

It is with that in mind that I thought I would mention how truly impressed I was with the Angels radio broadcast team. I got a good chance to listen to them last weekend, as during the Saturday game vs. the Yankees I was travelling on my way to the Palm Springs/Cabazon area, and on Sunday I was travelling home and once again got to hear the broadcast.

I was pleasantly surprised by the truly ubiased and honest broadcast of Rory Markus especially, as well as his partner Terry Smith. Markus's voice and excitement level rose when something exciting happened - not when his home team did something well. I've heard the broadcast team before from time to time, but never really sat down and gave them a full game. It makes me wish the Yankees had such honest broadcasters instead of the silly catchphrase of the moment, over dramatic, charactature of himself homer that John Sterling has become.

If anyone else knows of good out of market broadcasters, please feel free to comment. I rip bad announcers and writers here often enough; it's time the good ones get their kudos.

posted by Mr. Faded Glory @ 1:24 PM   6 comments







6 Comments:

At 8/19/2006 2:12 PM, Blogger June said...

so funny you mention this - i was just thinking wistfully while tim mccarver was making my ears bleed, if there were any broadcasters I like. there are. I agree about angels radio: listened to a yankees/angels game last summer while hauling up 5 on a typically pretty sunday with the top down. I also like the OH MY GOD I AM GOING TO FUCKING KILL JASON ISRINGHAUSEN!!!! Reds announcer who sounds like Dennis Farina. One of the Royals tv guys is also not bad.

 
At 8/19/2006 2:20 PM, Blogger Mr. Faded Glory said...

I also enjoy the Padres radio team. Jerry Coleman is still great, and so is Tim Flannery. Ted Leitner is a little bit of a homer, but he's honest about it and is one of the few examples of a guy that will rip his home club when its deserved.

I couldn't even get McCarver today - the FOX National game wasn't shown on the west coast again - do I get to watch the so very rare Padres-Diamondbacks game today. I don't understand why FOX thinks it's a good idea to put on games featuring teams people out west already get to see on a regular basis.

 
At 8/19/2006 2:21 PM, Blogger Mr. Faded Glory said...

I don't know their names offhand, but the Indians have some of the worst radio announcers I have ever heard.

 
At 8/21/2006 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harry Kalas/Larry Andersen of the Phillies is an excellent broadcast team

 
At 8/21/2006 10:18 AM, Blogger susan said...

Joe Angel who does the Orioles play by play is my out of market favorite. He speaks in a normal tone of voice. My experience with the LA Angels local guys was opposite of yours--every other syllable is at triple high decibel to make it sound exciting. Many others do this as well.
I have XM so I hear all of them.

 
At 8/22/2006 3:43 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

i ran into sterling the other day in boston.

he bathes in aftershave.

not only does he assault the eardrums, but the nostrils as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


 L   I   N   K   S



P   R   E   V   I   O   U   S
P   O   S   T   S


C   O   N   T   A   C   T  




Subscribe to High and Tight via your favorite RSS reader:
Add to Google

Powered by Blogger