Wednesday, October 18, 2006

If My Free Time's Gone, Would You Promise Me This?

That you will please bury me with it? Please bury me with it.

Well sure as planets come, I know that they end. And if I'm here when that happens, will you promise me this my friend? Please bury me with it.

Major League Baseball and a company that makes funeral products will soon find out just how many fans want to be decked out for all eternity in tribute to their team.

Starting next season, fans of the New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Detroit Tigers, Philadelphia Phillies, Chicago Cubs and Los Angeles Dodgers will be able to have their ashes put in an urn or head six feet under in a casket emblazoned with their team colors and insignia.

MLB has entered a licensing agreement with Eternal Image, which hopes to eventually make urns and caskets for all 30 teams. The company also hopes to have similar agreements with NASCAR, the NHL and the NFL, but baseball was the first to sign on.

The $11 billion-a-year funeral industry is adding more personal touches, from Harley Davidson-themed caskets to ones featuring the cartoon character Betty Boop.

The Phillies urn was the first to be designed. Each urn will feature recognition of the deceased's passionate support, stamped with a message that says "Major League Baseball officially recognizes (person's name) as a lifelong fan of (team)."

David Griffin, funeral director at L.J. Griffin Funeral Home in suburban Detroit, said the caskets and urns could be a hot commodity.

"Looking at it as a consumer, I was thinking this is some pretty interesting, unique stuff," Griffin said.

Nevertheless, funeral homes will have to be careful to not offend clients.

"They are a little bit hesitant because of what others might think," Soffe said.

The manufacturer also will have to make sure the products aren't too expensive. People who choose cremation, for example, often do so partly because it is cheaper.

"I guess it's going to be interesting to see how it's accepted," Griffin said.


I am really quite curious who wanted to have their remains spend eternity in a Betty Boop coffin.

posted by Mr. Faded Glory @ 6:59 PM   1 comments







1 Comments:

At 10/19/2006 6:07 PM, Blogger Sal said...

Sal doesn't know about a Betty Boop coffin, but he'd consider a Popeye one.

Fu Manchu,
Sal

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


 L   I   N   K   S



P   R   E   V   I   O   U   S
P   O   S   T   S


C   O   N   T   A   C   T  




Subscribe to High and Tight via your favorite RSS reader:
Add to Google

Powered by Blogger