Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Papelbon is Money

Or rather, Papelbon loves money:

“I’m here to get my fair share of money,” he said. “My main priority is to stay healthy and be able to make money, not to go out and try and hurry up and win a championship this year (at the risk of injury). It’s not like I’m hurrying up and going back to the closer’s role because we have a good team this year and I’m going to blow (my arm) out and try and win as many games as we can (at any cost). No, it’s not going to happen.
“I’ve got a lot of money to be made in this game, whether it’s with Boston or not. My goal is to make sure I’m ready to play every day and to make money, and you can’t make money if you’re sitting on the bench. That’s the way I look at it.”

What a great guy. Good to see his heart's in the right place.

Labels: , ,

posted by Mr. Faded Glory @ 5:50 PM   4 comments







4 Comments:

At 5/04/2007 3:34 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

Wait, at what point did wanting to make money become so bad? I want to make money. I'm sure you want to make money. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a player in the league who (when speaking honestly) didn't want to make money. This is obviously an attempt to discredit Papelbon. He's a player who loves money so he's a horrible guy, right? Us Yankees with out $195 million payroll think he's SO bad for the game, right? Don't throw stones when you're standing in a glass house. You're upset your team is in last place and you're looking for any way to discredit the team in first place.

 
At 5/06/2007 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...how about Roger Clemens? Nah, he plays for the love of the sport not for the $28m that Cashman is going to payout to him for a few months.

 
At 5/06/2007 8:16 PM, Blogger Mr. Faded Glory said...

It's amazing how many Boston fans come out of the woodwork when you post a simple quote from one of their golden boys.

Andrew, the quote was directly from Papelbon. There was no doctoring of that quote.

Anonymous, nobody has ever said Clemens wasn't a mercenary.

The big difference is that Papelbon is years away from free agency, and made statements that he's not willing to win at any cost because he's concerned with a paycheck down the road.

 
At 5/08/2007 10:03 AM, Blogger Andrew said...

I never said anything about the quote being doctored, I read the source and can see it was taken directly. Regardless, I don't see what the big deal is with a professional athlete speaking candidly about wanting to make money. He sees himself the way a lot of people in the Red Sox organization and baseball in general see him; as the potential future of the pitching staff. So he wants to make money, get over it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


 L   I   N   K   S



P   R   E   V   I   O   U   S
P   O   S   T   S


C   O   N   T   A   C   T  




Subscribe to High and Tight via your favorite RSS reader:
Add to Google

Powered by Blogger